Friday, February 11, 2011

My Grace is Sufficient pt 2

But he said to me, 
"My grace is sufficient for you,
For my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

This is a continuance of thought on God's grace to John Bunyan
through the reflection and application of this passage of Scripture.

"Therefore I still did pray to God, that he would come in with this Scripture more full on my heart; to wit, that he would help me to apply the whole sentence, for as yet I could not: that he gave, I gathered; but farther I would not go, for as yet it only helped me to hope there might be mercy for me, "My grace is sufficient"; and though it came no farther, it answered my former question; to wit, that there was hope; yet, because "for thee" was left out, I was not contented, but prayer to God for that also. Wherefore, one day as I was in a meeting of God's people, full of sadness and terror, for my fears again were strong upon me; and as I was now thinking my soul was never the better, but my case most sad and fearful, these words did, with great power, suddenly break in upon me, "My grace is sufficient for thee, my grace is sufficient for thee, my grace is sufficient for thee," three times together; and oh! methought that every word was a mighty word unto me; as my, and grace, and sufficient, and for thee; they were then, and sometimes are still, far bigger than others be."


Extracted from Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan, section 206 

No comments:

Post a Comment