Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unexpected Hymns


I've collected here a selection of hymns from people you probably haven't heard playing hymns.
Some of these are updated and some are the same ol' tune.
One band that sticks out right now is Page CXVI (aka Autumn Film's hymn collection).
They've released over 20 hymns in their rock-folk-eerie-(indie?) style;
for any Copeland fans this is the Christian carbon-copy. I've got all three of their EPs - I highly recommend them. But they're not the only ones doing the hymns.
Take a minute and have a listen.
You might just find the same old words sinking in deep.


Page CXVI - I've Got the Joy
Alan Jackson - Standing on the Promises 
Sufjan Stevens - Come Thou Fount
Carrie Underwood - How Great Thou Art 
Page CXVI - Rock of Ages
Sufjan Stevens - Amazing Grace
Judy Garland - Battle Hymn of the Republic 
Johnny, June & the Cash Family - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

I didn't put Elvis - I figured you've all heard him.


No comments:

Post a Comment